Friday, September 2, 2011

Planning

   I mentioned yesterday watching the Creating the Balance videos and I wanted to share something else I really "got" from watching.  I got that homeschooling is a full time job!  Duh.  I know that but I simply put it with homemaking and raising my kids.  I don't think I've ever looked at how big it is, I just do it.

   One reason I like to blog is it gives me time to think.  I feel like I never have time to think. Well, on that note one suggestion was planning hour every night.  I NEVER have time (or take time) to plan each day.  I mean each day has a schedule/routine but I often don't look over things until it's time to do it.  Part of that is my personality (I like to fly by the seat of my pants) but part of it is again not recognizing the size of this task!  I'm not quoting word for word here but what she was saying was planning makes her a happier mommy, a more joyful mommy and teacher.  I can see that.  If I don't have to think so hard with little faces looking at me or little ones talking around me... I might be a little happier while I teach :0)  She also mentioned it allows you to play with what you're doing which is so true.  It's much easier to mix things up or plan little games and activities if your very familiar with your subject.

  I know this may seem like a dumb thought.  You're thinking, "Um... hello??  Of course you need to plan!  All teachers have planning times!"  I've always known that too but I've never taken the planning time very seriously...until now.  Now granted a large part of this may be I'm now teaching older children.  It's pretty easy to go with the flow when teaching colors and numbers and general science/history!  Anyways, I am going to try to find a time each night to set aside to just look over what we're doing the next day.  I will pray about our work and our day, think it through ahead of time and see what kind of difference it makes in our day and my stress level the next day!

What about you?  Do you take the time to plan each day??  Should you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...