Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It Works For Us

    I use to be a fantastic money saving shopper when it came to groceries.  I loved saving us money but over the years it started to really stress me to the point of feeling sick to my stomach.  I hated it when Paul would comment on a trip being expensive when I had just worked my tail off to save all the money I could.  We realized he had no idea how much everything cost so he decided to start getting groceries for awhile. I made the list and he did the running.  I was surprised how much I didn't like it at first.  It is giving up some control and if one item was too pricey I could switch a whole meal up if needed and he can't.  However, over time he has become just as quick as I was and often picks things up that I don't list because he knows we probably need them.  It has removed a lot of stress from me.  As prices go up I wonder if I could lower our food budget now if I went (since we spend almost equal our mortgage on food now to feed our family of 7) but I know three things:
1- It WILL totally stress me out and take time out of school or home that I really should be doing
2- Daddy likes to pick up his "special" things and I don't think he'd be too thrilled with my new tight budget!
3- Daddy always chooses a big boy to go with him and they really enjoy their time together

   For now we are trying to find ways to feed us healthy for less.  We joined an organic co-op garden in town and I am learning how to beef up salads with protein or pasta to really stretch those.  I may try my hand at our own garden again.  I've tried a few times while pregnant or with a little little one and I just couldn't keep up.  Maybe this year... or next! We are definitely a little spoiled when it comes to food here in America.  Cutting cost and staying healthy though is quite a challenge.  How do you save money on groceries?  Could your hubby help??

  Daddy getting groceries has really worked for us!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Oooh, I can't handle letting my dh do the big shopping trips. He comes home with all kinds of junk food. I let him do the late night, after-work, pick up some milk and eggs for breakfast shopping. ;)

BTW, have you thought about linking your post to What Works for Me Wednesday at We Are That Family?

Tami said...

I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

And yes, my dear hubby often comes home with more junk food than I'd like. That's why I considered taking over again! But in the end it's a good fit and less stress for mama!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...