Monday, February 14, 2011

Why Do I Have To Learn This??

   Do you remember as a kid asking, "Why do I have to learn this?"  You were listening to a lecture or studying for a test and thinking there is not going to be one other time in your life you are EVER going to need to know this.  I hated that feeling.  It felt like a waste of time.

   As a homeschooler I looked forward to telling my kids why they needed to know something.  I looked forward to NOT asking them to memorize things for a test that they would forget a week later and never use again.  Was I successful?  Nope.  In the beginning I was, but as they got older I fell under the pressure of what they "should" know.  Who decided what they "should" know?  A group of educators who just... decided!  I didn't even realize I was doing it until last year and then I was so mad I could have spit!  How did I fall for that?!  I decided to step back and pray and think about what we were doing and why and so far so good.

   I don't know why but yesterday during some quiet time I was looking over our plans for next year and decided to think about why I was choosing that particular thing and what I was hoping we'd get from it.  If you haven't done this before it was really eye opening.  My list of why we are studying these things this year...

History- FASCINATING!!  The stories we are going to learn about are awesome!  Also the Geography we are going to be using gives them a great chance to EXPLORE our world.

Science- AWE.  It is amazing to see the Creator in all of creation!

Math- THINK.  Some things just are, period.  2+2=4 and Jesus is the Messiah.  Some things just are.

Writing and Spelling- SHARE.  I want them to be able to share with other people through the written word.  That's much easier when you now how to write well and spell!

Grammar- PRECISE.  Some things get easier the more you understand the pieces as opposed to the whole.

Literary Analysis- DIG!  Go deeper and understand more.

Bible- UNDERSTAND.  Don't just read God's Word to read it.  Understand it.

Fine Arts- APPRECIATE.  Understand the talents God gave to each individual to share with the world and enjoy them!

Read Alouds- LOVE!  Love being part of a story.  Love discussing it with your family and friends.  Love knowing about more than yourself, your surroundings and what's on TV!

That's why we're doing what we're doing this year.  How about you?  Why are you doing what your doing?


History and Science
Reading

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...