Monday, February 21, 2011

Night Owl Update

   I thought I'd share an update on how our late night... late mornings are going.  Well, surprisingly well!  The girls wake up sometime between 8 and 8:30 and the boys around 9 (unless they forget their alarm).  We have a pretty slow morning and to be honest I have no idea what time we are starting school!  We start when we get chores and things done.  I know we always start before lunch!  I also know we are just working through and still usually done or just finishing when the neighborhood kids are walking down the street home from school (3:30/4).

   The nice thing is we are doing a good part of school when Addison is napping.  She's not getting neglected and I don't feel like I need to nap when she does because I was able to sleep in a bit.  I still wish I had it in me to get up at even 7 some mornings but as of now I don't.  Maybe someday :0)  Sometimes I think about having them wake just a bit earlier but there are often days I've been up until 1 or 2:00 and I'm thrilled they are still asleep at 8!

   We have changed a few things around.  The last two days we have turned our Before Breakfast Chores to Before Bed Chores done before any family TV or bedtime.  We just started this Thursday and it has worked out well.  The Family Room is straightened after Addison goes down and is cozy for family time, I fold while we watch a show and everyone can put their things away before they head to bed and the dishwasher is ready for breakfast dishes in the morning.

   I must say this goes against every organized bone in my body.  I like to know we are doing chores and this time and school at this time and we will be done at such and such time.  I'm really quite amazed I'm liking this!  I guess all those years of making schedules and charts have helped me realize what needs to get done and the kids are running on good tracks of habit and now we don't need to be as strict with the time part.  Crazy I know but it's working!  Mornings are much calmer.  I don't wake feeling already behind and I can have the cozy cartoon mornings with the girls I felt I was missing out on.  It just doesn't feel like a good morning without a sippy cup and Dora :0)  It also gives me time to make a bigger breakfast if I want... see if I was up at 7 I could always make that work!  My only catch right now is workout time.  I was doing that early.  I haven't worked out in a couple weeks and I'm not sure where/how to fit that.  I'm still thinking on that one.  I know come warm weather it will be no problem to sneak out in the evening but as for this cold dark season... not sure.

   Well, there you have it.  For now late nights and late mornings are working well!  Go figure!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...