Saturday, November 13, 2010

Why Memorize Scripture

I thought after the Scripture Memory post I'd share WHY we work on memorizing God's Word.  Well there are a million reasons why but there are four at the top for me. 

#1 When I am hurt, scared, sad, lonely...
you name it, when I am overcome by emotions it seems the Lord will always bring to mind a verse for comfort.  There are verses I don't even think I know that well that will suddenly come to mind and bring such comfort.  I want my children to have that comfort as well.

#2 Comforting a friend. 
There is nothing like the Word of God to bring comfort to someone who is hurting.  Call me crazy but I don't think it's half as comforting if as a person pours our their heart or sits and sobs I have my face in the Bible flipping madly saying, "Hold on, I know it's in here somewhere... God says something about this, I just know it!"

#3 Teaching my children
Again there's great gains in using Scripture for comfort but also as 1 Timothy 3:16 says... "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness".  When I correct my children I love to be able to have the Word to show them this isn't just mommy's wishes but God's too.  For example, when the kids say something mean or won't stop picking they already know what I'll say!  I'll look them in the eye and ask them to stop what they are doing and ask them if it was being encouraging (obvious answer... NO!!).  Then I'll say the verse with their name in it, "Carter, let everything you say be good and helpful so that your words may be an encouragement to those who hear them." Ephesians 4:29  Again, if you have to look it up it's just not quite as effective. When you find a good one to apply with your kids make it a memory verse in your box or use it for copywork, dictation practice or even discipline.  Caleb memorized 1 Peter 2:17 after a day of interrupting and being disrespectful during school time.  I won't tell you how many times I made him write it (or you'll think I'm really mean!).  Curious what it says, "Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king."  If you need help finding good verses for different circumstances check out this book Parenting with Scripture  .  It's a topical guide and has been a huge help for us.  You can look up fighting or cursing or good stuff like encouraging and example and it will give you related Scripture.  Remember to use God's Word to bless them as well. "You are a delight to my soul!" Proverbs 29:17.

#4 Because God says so!!
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Joshua 1:8 "Keep this book of the law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful."

Enough said!

Memorizing Scripture

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...