Thursday, November 4, 2010

Time to make the doughnuts!

So the kids have been asking to make homemade doughnuts for several months (I thought they'd forget about it sooner or later but apparently not).  I found a recipe online for Creamy Krispy (get it?) doughnuts and we decided to go for it.  The one issue was the recipe never said how many it made...41 doughnuts later!  No I'm NOT kidding!!!  The mixing we did together and then we let it rise, rolled it out and started cutting and then let them rise again.  I thought that was the long part until I pulled out my little fryer that we never use and realized I could fit 2 doughnuts in at a time... TWO!!  Oh well.  They were delicious!  Nana was here and munched with us. Then we dropped some off to Grandma and Papa, Grandma Joyce and Papa Art across the street and Ms. Mel and Ms. Michelle next door.  Needless to say there are plenty left for breakfast.  It was pretty fun and I'm thinking we could add some festive sprinkles and make it a special holiday treat.  Maybe make them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter etc.  I also made some yummy soup by simply throwing a whole fryer chicken in a pot with celery, carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic.  I covered it all with water and salt and pepper and just let it simmer all day.  When the meat was falling apart I took the whole chicken out and pulled off the skin and cut all the chicken off the bone and tossed it back in the pot.  I chopped it with some food scissors right over the pot and added a little more salt and some thyme. I let it simmer a bit more and wa-lah!  It was very good on a cold rainy day.  Paul says all it was missing was some homemade french bread... can't believe I didn't think of that in the midst of a cold, a 4yo throwing up, 2 boys to take to Lego class, homeschooling, company and a 1yo whose favorite thing to do right now is dance on the tables, throw away her shoes or find stray pencils and write on anything she can find!  Just another day in paradise :0)

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Looking GREAT!!!! It's funny though, how much our husbands are alike. My DH still jokes about how he really thought I should be scrubbing the toilet while I was sick with pregnancy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...