Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Great Book!

   I don't know what to call it when I share a book... I'll be sharing a lot because reading is one of my favorite things to do!  So maybe there will be a million posts titled "Great Book"!  Let me know if you have any better ideas for me!

    For Christmas my mom got us a couple new books.  Our family is big on read alouds and big on games.  You'll find us doing both of these almost everyday and often for hours on end. Well, this book we cannot get enough of!  It's called Heaven is for Real: A Little Boys Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back.  The little boy is around 4 years old when his appendix ruptures and it is not caught for almost five days.  The father writes the book, telling the whole story but using the little boy's words whenever he is speaking.  It is hard to put down!  Last night we read for well over an hour and every time we'd finish a chapter we all just sat and looked at each other and then dove in for more!  We are at the point now where he will start to talk about what happened on his "trip" today.  So far we just know about his family and how sick he really was.

   There were a few times I had to take a deep breath to keep reading without crying.  As a parent, imagining the helplessness they felt was heart breaking.  Everyone keeps laughing as we read because as the story starts to unfold the father keeps saying, "Wow!  Those Sunday School teachers are fantastic!" because some of the things the little boy is sharing he knows he never taught him.  We are loving this book!

    We read to learn. We read for information.  We read to draw us closer to God.  AND we read for FUN! I'm interested to see when we finish what we'll think this "read" was.  I think it may be all the above!

If you have a chance to grab a new book this year, check this one out.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow, that sounds really good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...